Giving Voice

Sunday 10 June 2012

MP's and a Miner's Picnic!

This weekend was the 145th Northumberland's Miner’s Picnic, with events being held at various places over the last few days. On Friday I went along to a lecture evening at Ashington Football club as Ian Lavery, MP for Wansbeck was one of the guest speakers present. I went along wearing my Giving Voice badge to spread the word a little bit further.
There were four speakers in total, 3 of which are current MPs (Ian Mearns, Gateshead, Graham Morris, Easington and Wansbeck's Ian Lavery) and former Wansbeck, MP Denis Murphy. All the speakers were passionate and proud to represent their individual constituencies. They talked about a number of issues including the NHS and the Health and Social Care Bill.
After the speeches, I spoke to Ian Lavery to remind him of the Giving Voice campaign and to give him a new Giving Voice pen. He was delighted with this as he informed me that his previous one had run out of ink! Graham Morris  also received a Giving Voice pen and he seemed equally enthused. I took the opportunity to get another photo with Ian Lavery and to explain that Giving Voice is continuing throughout this year. He once again expressed his support for the profession and says he will do whatever he can to support the campaign this year.

He has recently joined Twitter and I took the opportunity to ask him if he would tweet about Giving Voice, with which he happily agreed. It was a pleasure to meet him again and I am pleased he likes his pen!
On Saturday I went along to the Miner's picnic event at Woodhorn Colliery Museum, where my friend and I were both wearing a Giving Voice badge. 
If your local MP is going to be talking at a local event, why not go along and mention Giving Voice.

Speech and Language Therapy Transforms Lives!!



No comments:

Post a Comment