Giving Voice

Friday 21 December 2012

Merry Christmas!


December has been a busy month so far and I’ve had little time to blog, therefore this is a little bit of everything!

On 7th December, I attended the annual charity ball of Heel and Toe, at the Civic Centre, Newcastle. This was a brilliant night supporting a fantastic charity.


What they do:

“Heel & Toe Children’s Charity provides free therapy to children with Cerebral Palsy, Dyspraxia and any other movement condition. This is provided through a system of learning called Conductive Education. Any child can benefit and parents/carers are encouraged to take an active role in their own development.” Check out their website for more information.

I am extremely grateful that Heel and Toe regularly retweet my Giving Voice blog! I also met Brendan Healy, comedian, on the night and I thanked him personally for retweeting my blog (as my dad was taking our photo!) It was a pleasure to meet him, though I (foolishly) told him I’m from Ashington which led to our table being ‘picked on' a little bit (all in good fun!)


Brendan Healy and me

 I wrote to the News Post Leader following my Giving Voice award and was pleased to see they published a short piece in the paper and on line last week – click here to read the article.

I was delighted that React2 asked me to be their guest blogger, where I wrote about Giving Voice. React2.com is an online-based, interactive speech and language therapy tool for adults and children with a communication impairment due to:

  • Aphasia after stroke or brain injuries
  • Cognitive communication disorder after brain injury
  • Learning difficulties
  • Autistic Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
  • Down’s Syndrome
  • Delayed or disordered language
  • Dementia

You can check out my Giving Voice guest entry on their blog here.

On Tuesday night I attended the first Giving Voice working group meeting (via telephone) and this has made me even more enthusiastic about the campaigning year ahead! If you want to get involved in the working group contact Emma at RCSLT for more information emma.barnes@rcslt.org

I probably won’t get the chance to blog again before Christmas so here's wishing you a Merry Christmas! I will hopefully do a final blog of the year! 

~ Speech and Language Therapy Transforms Lives ~

No comments:

Post a Comment